The Art Gallery of New South Wales began in the 1870s as an aspect of the Academy of Art. Later it became known as the National Art Gallery of NSW. This name persisted beyond Federation in 1901. It was given its present name in 1958.
It remains the principal collecting and exhibiting body in NSW and is governed by the Art Gallery of New South Wales Act of 1980.
The Art Gallery of South Australia was founded in 1881. It is located at the heart of Adelaide’s cultural boulevard, North Terrace, between the South Australian Museum and University of Adelaide.