The Special Collections, Baillieu Library, University of Melbourne, comprise some 200,000 rare or historic books, serials and pamphlets and literary archives.
The McArthur Bequest (1903) was the first substantial donation to the University Library, which has been followed by, among others, the Sir Russell Grimwade, Ian McLaren and Clern Christesen collections acquired in the 1970s.
The Art Gallery of New South Wales began in the 1870s as an aspect of the Academy of Art. Later it became known as the National Art Gallery of NSW. This name persisted beyond Federation in 1901. It was given its present name in 1958.
It remains the principal collecting and exhibiting body in NSW and is governed by the Art Gallery of New South Wales Act of 1980.